Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Incorrect appearance of the dock when the monitor is in HDR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:37 pm 

Application: Nexus Ultimate

I noticed a problem with Nexus Ultimate when my monitor is in HDR mode or in SDR mode with Auto Color Management (ACM) activated in Windows 11. The problem consists of the incorrect display of all visual elements of the dock (background image, icons, and other elements such as icon shadows). The issue is more noticeable with a semi-transparent background with a white base color. Below is a demonstration of the problem with two simple screenshots:

The Monitor is in SDR Mode with ACM disabled (above - Stardock ObjectDock 3 and below - Nexus Ultimate).
Attachment:
Screenshot 2024-05-27 223756.png
Screenshot 2024-05-27 223756.png [ 329.31 KiB | Viewed 5618 times ]

And here it is in HDR Mode or with ACM enabled (above - Stardock ObjectDock 3 and below - Nexus Ultimate).
Attachment:
Screenshot 2024-05-27 221058.png
Screenshot 2024-05-27 221058.png [ 284.81 KiB | Viewed 5618 times ]

To further clarify the problem, the Nexus alternative - Stardock ObjectDock 3 - is open on the screen with the same background image (theme) applied and almost the same applications with their respective icons. It can be seen from the screenshots that when HDR mode is active (or SDR with ACM-on), all images in Nexus acquire an ugly and incorrect appearance - a problem that is obviously not present in ObjectDock 3. In the second screenshot, I have marked the elements where the problem is most visible:
1. The ugly, not fully transparent background becomes more visible (discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12867&p=44621&hilit=0.5%25+transparent#p44621);
2. The sub-dock indicator acquires a white aura;
3. Shadow breaks their original appearance;
4. Semi-transparent pixels around icon edges become white.

The problem is less visible when a darker theme is applied!

Post subject: Re: Incorrect appearance of the dock when the monitor is in
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's not a Nexus dock problem "per se". Nexus renders those images via GDI+, so if there is an issue it is probably related to GDI+ on Windows or even Windows itself (Nexus began development long before the advent of HDR monitors).

I have two 43" 4K monitors here, one is a SDR monitor, the other HDR. The dock displays fine on both monitors, but, of course, I don't keep changing modes.

My question is: have you already tried restarting the Winstep application AFTER changing modes?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:57 pm 

Restarting the application, restarting Windows, as well as manually set Nexus-Ultimate.exe in the Compatibility tab of the application properties to "Use legacy display ICC color management" do not give a different result, than the one shown in the screenshot.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, by applying a very light dock background I can see what you mean, the drop shadow is indeed rendered differently on my HDR vs my SDR monitor, just as you show in your images.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do other than changing the original drop shadow and sub-dock arrow bitmaps, pretty sure this has something to do with the way Windows converts SDR content to HDR, which is not perfect since it is trying to render more color information than there originally was (it probably highlights/extends parts of the drop shadow semi-transparent areas that in a SDR monitor would not be visible in such a way that they become visible in a HDR monitor).

This issue can be minimized by using darker dock backgrounds or non-black wallpapers.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:52 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hmm, why do I get a strong whiff of spam bot and ChatGPT?

If you are not a spam bot/spammer, do say so here ASAP or you'll be banned. Also, be aware that ChatGPT or other LLM/ML generated text that is posted without clear acknowledgement and explanation of why it has been used will henceforth be immediately treated as spam.

You have been warned - including an official warning.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Hmm, why do I get a strong whiff of spam bot and ChatGPT?

If you are not a spam bot/spammer, do say so here ASAP or you'll be banned. Also, be aware that ChatGPT or other LLM/ML generated text that is posted without clear acknowledgement and explanation of why it has been used will henceforth be immediately treated as spam.

You have been warned - including an official warning.

Post deleted, bot banned. There was enough time for a real user to respond. So obviously spam bot and very obviously ChatGPT text.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]