Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Access Violation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm 

Hi,

I'm TRYING to get the handle on this software. I ended up making a mistake in purchasing the Extreme package so not sure if there is a way to downgrade and get a partial refund as I only want the dock system, not the full on theme system.

Anyways, installed the FREE version of the docking system 'Nexus' but....

I keep getting Access Violations... at first they were just for right clicking but then I set up my GMail account using the mail checker module and put in the address to actually take me to the page via Firefox (I don't and will not use IE) which actually worked.. yay.. but upon my third click to check I got an Access Violation. This time the program shut down and would NOT start back up when I clicked on the Nexus shortcut in the Start Menu. So this does not seem good for me.

I used to do beta testing for various companies and seems to me, iirc, that it's either a corrupt library (dll) or perhaps adding an additional dll to the System 32 folder or the main program folder will fix this. It's an access violation code error so gotta be a library. I'm not a code person so that's about all I know on that. Haven't seen that though in YEARS! Really annoying back then and just as annoying now. :evil:

Please look into this. If there is a log file that's created that might help please let me know the path to look in and how to get it to you and I'll be happy to do that.

Thanks

Richard :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Access Violation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Richard!

Access Violation errors are usually caused by 3rd party extensions installed on your system, believe it or not.

Since this seems to be related to right clicking, open Nexus Preferences, go to the General tab, click the 'More Options' button.

In the Context Menus section, is it set to Always show full right click context menu options?

If so, there is your problem, a buggy 3rd party context menu add-on/extension. You can only find out which it is by trial and error, unfortunately (i.e.; uninstalling/disabling existing extensions one by one).

Alternatively, try changing 'Always' to 'Never' to see if the error goes away.

Also, are you sure you are running the latest version of Winstep software (12.2)?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:06 pm 

Hi,

No, there were no 3rd party extensions for your app installed. I don't usually jump in full force when trying out a new app like this.

I tried the Always and Never options too with no luck. I've uninstalled all of it and tried contacting you guys for a refund. Please check your emails, I've also contacted the service you use for selling your products about a refund.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guess I didn't explain properly what 3rd party context menu extensions are. Never mind. :)

Anyway, I've authorized BMT Micro to give you a refund, even though Winstep Xtreme comes with a fully functional 30 day trial that you can use to iron these things out before you commit to buying.

Sorry things didn't work out for you.

I suggest you try Nexus or even Xtreme on a different (e.g.; a friend's) computer to a realize the problem is not on the Winstep application itself but with something specific to your system.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]